In March 2018, the Australian Federal Government replaced the existing 487 visa with the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (TSS Visa) Subclass 482. The aim was to ensure Australian workers are given first priority for jobs, while allowing businesses to temporarily access critical skills they need to grow if skilled Australians workers are not available.
The TSS visa has tightened requirements for English language, includes mandatory criminal checks and requires visa applicants to have at least two years’ work experience in their skilled occupation.
There are three streams within the TSS visa program that you can apply for:
- The short term stream (a visa for up to two years or four years if an International Trade Obligation applies).
- The medium term stream (a visa for up to four years, with eligibility to apply for permanent residency after three years.)
- The labour agreement stream (available for exceptional cases where standard visa programs are not available and there is a demonstrated need that cannot be met in the Australian labour market. A sponsor must have entered into a labour agreement with the Department).
The 482 is a great way to work in Australia for a specific period of time, knowing you are free to travel in and out of the country for the duration of your visa.
While age doesn’t matter when applying for a 457 visa, as you’d expect, there are plenty of other criteria to meet.
- For a start, you will need to have the specific skills/ qualifications and work experience for which there is a shortage in Australia – you can see the list of skills currently required here.
- You’ll need to have an employer in Australia who is willing to sponsor you before you make your visa application.
- You’ll also need to meet health, English language and character requirements.
There are other more specific criteria to meet, depending on the visa stream you’re applying for, the job you’re going to work in and your specific circumstances.
Applying for a TSS is costly and can be complex – it’s well worth engaging a migration expert to guide you through the process.
The following three-step visa application process can be completed from outside Australia. The steps must be completed in order, though you don’t have to wait for one step to be approved before moving to the next:
Step 1: a sponsorship application must be submitted by the employer
Step 2: a nomination application for a skilled position must be completed by the employer
Step 3: a visa application must be submitted by the proposed employee
It takes up from 35 – 70 days for most applications to be approved and the costs are:
- Short term stream applicants: from AU$1,175
- Medium term and labour agreement stream applicants: from AU$2,455.
Ayers Can Help
Ayers Group migration experts work with employers and visa applicants to manage TSS applications then assist with migration and onboarding services.
Talk to an expert today for advice on whether your skills are required in Australia and assistance with your application process.
Ayers Can Help You Find a Solution.
Want To Know More?
Complete the below form to: